Friday, May 8, 2009

Mushy Update

He's coming home today!! The vets were never able to really pinpoint why he was so sick. His bloodwork was normal, except for a low white cell count. He had a fever on Wednesday. When I went to see him Wednesday, he was absolutely miserable. Didn't really care that I was there. Just wanted to curl up in the corner of the cage and be left alone. They were giving him iv fluids and antibiotics. The x-rays of his bowels didn't show an obstruction, but they were still not ruling it out, even though he'd pooped after being hydrated. They gave the poor kitty an enema, too! They suspected it might be pancreatitis, but there isn't any diagnostic test for it, or any real treatment. He'd just have to ride it out. Or, the vet said it could have been a bowel infection and the antibiotics are knocking it out.

Wednesday night they gave him some pain meds, and by yesterday morning he seemed much better. Still not eating, but rubbing up against the cage door, demanding attention. That's my boy! I went to see him again after work. He looked so much better. He ate a little while I was there and snuggled with me a lot. He was really annoyed by the iv in his paw, and the constant crying of another cat must have been upsetting to him.

When I spoke to the vet this morning, he said he was doing much better, but still only eating a little. But the vet thinks he might do better at home now. I think so, too. So I'll pick him up on my way home from work. I'm a little nervous about what the final bill will be, but I'm relieved he didn't need surgery.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

17 comments:

Mo said...

glad he's doing better. I think at this point what he needs most some love from his mama. :)

Mo

Kristin said...

Oh I am so glad he is ok. Its so hard when our furbabies are hurting.

Billy said...

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

Michele said...

So glad he's doing better!

Meg said...

So happy he's feeling better!

Miss Conception said...

Congrats on the ultrasound!! I'm late to the party, but wanted you to know how thrilled I am.
Also happy to know that your kitty is doing better.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he's better! My cat is having some severe bladder problems, and my heart just breaks for him, knowing he is in pain and that I can't fix him immediately. And I hear you about the cost. One cycle, I was doing injectables, and my cat had to spend three days in the emergency vet hospital. I think it was pretty close, but the vet bills cost more that month than my injectables and IUI cycle! Ugh. But you do what you have to do to help them feel better. Give him lots of lovies!

princessoftides said...

Oh, what a relief. I am so glad to hear this news!

Michelle said...

I am so happy to hear he is coming home. I definitely think that will help with his recovery. A mothers love may be all he needs now. I hope he gets back to his old self soon!

battynurse said...

So glad he's doing better and will be home soon.

AnotherDreamer said...

Thank goodness he's doing better, I hope he keeps improving.

Anonymous said...

Glad he is better!

You don't need any extra stress, so stay healthy Mushy!

Ak

Stacie said...

Yeah! I am glad he's doing better. I am sure he'll love the extra TLC he'll get at home and improve even more. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

So glad to read your kitty is on the mend! I am a cat lover too and I would be a complete wreck if my sweetie was sick. I hope Mushy has improved even more since he's been home.

Wishing 4 One said...

He will be SO HAPPY to be home. I am so glad he's bettter. Poor little guy but like you said thank goodness no surgery. xoxoxoxo

The Steadfast Warrior said...

So so glad he's doing alright and no surgery is needed. Hope he's running around very soon!

Anonymous said...

Are you ok? Thought I saw a post up that is gone now. Just hoping everything is alright, and you are just busy. Thinking of you.