Thursday, January 29, 2009

The cart before the horse? Help!

I’ve just gotten my second suggestion to book an OB appointment NOW! The first was from my internist, who said it might be hard to find an OB willing to work with my hematologist regarding lovenox injections during a pregnancy. The latest was from my massage therapist who is also a doula. She had a somewhat difficult pregnancy and recommended her high risk OB, who I’ve heard of, and who may take two months to get an appointment with. My MT says this OB will do what she can to have a vaginal delivery. Good quality in a high risk OB. Just to explain, I’m planning on a high risk practice because of my advanced maternal age (UGH!) and the lovenox. My hematologist wants me on a low dose of lovenox as a precaution due to my age and a mild case of Reynaud's.

Is this crazy? Jinxy? I know I can always cancel, but … YIKES! And what would I say when I call? Do I lie and say I just got a positive pee stick? Do I tell them I’m about to have a transfer of embies from a 23 year old egg donor, so I should be pregnant in a few weeks? If this cycle works, this is technically week one of my pregnancy, right? So, I could say I’m a week pregnant and let them make whatever assumptions they might make.

Help meeeeeeeeeeeee!

8 comments:

Meg said...

If you really want to see that Doctor you could start by calling and asking how far out they are scheduling appts. If they say months and months then it makes sense to get on the calendar now. I'm sure the scheduler has spoken to super planners before.

Shinejil said...

I think Meg's suggestion is good, and if the wait is indeed long, book it. Then find a good trusty friend who will volunteer to cancel the appt if things don't work out (that way you don't get re-traumatized by having the reminder of the appt looming over you).

Just my two cents. :)

But of course, my hope is you'll need the appointment.

I Believe in Miracles said...

This might be a good idea, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I couldn't get into the practice I wanted because they were no longer accepting patients delivering in August. But I didn't feel comfortable getting an OB until I graduated from the RE (I was worried I'd jinx something). It might be worth a shot!

Kristin said...

Meg's suggestion is great!

Sorry I can't be more helpful...I'm kind of preoccupied right now.

Nikki said...

I agree - Meg;s suggestion is a good one. And of course I hope you do need the appointment! :-)

Phoebe said...

I think all the suggestions about planning ahead are good. I think you should do what you are comfortable with. I know for me, I couldn't schedule an appointment with an OB before I knew for sure. I have entertained the possibility of checking OBs out by going in for my annual exam, but you are beyond that at this point. Plus, I never did do it. Again, I think it's whatever is in your comfort level. If it's too stressful on top of just the stress of the cycle, then I would forge it.

As an AMAer myself, I'm not planing on going to a high risk perinatologist myself. With donor eggs, I don't think you need to worry about that. I don't know about lovenox though.

Cassandra said...

Funny coincidence for us to both post about jinxing on the same day. Or fate?!? ;)

You know I don't believe in jinxes, and cancelling is easy. So...

Usually the RE would keep seeing you for a couple of months, plenty of time to line up the OB. But, since your FET is far away, this isn't possible. So, in your situation I would book the best high-risk OB I can find as soon as possible. A proper high-risk OB should be used to booking before pregnancies are confirmed -- but if they're confused when you call, it's most likely a reflection on the receptionist, not the doc.

Does your hematologist have any OBs who are regular collaborators?

Good luck!

battynurse said...

You could try to call and talk to office staff about appointments etc. I don't think that using the Lovenox during pregnancy is so unusual anymore but still good to plan ahead. If not before transfer immediately after a positive test.