Friday, October 10, 2008

Pay it Forward Fridays

The internets been berry berry good to me.

Pay it forward has been my mantra lately. It lightens my heart when I have the opportunity to do something unexpected for someone else. Lightening hearts is much needed within the ALI blogosphere.

I found this interesting tidbit on Wiki:

“The concept was described by Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Benjamin Webb dated April 22, 1784:

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.”

I wrote here about doing something to PIF to honor someone who was so generous to me. Other than the substance of her gift, she gave me hope on a particularly dark day. I want to make this a habit. Some weeks in small ways, other weeks in bigger ways. I hope others will join me.

This week my PIF recipient is Jennifer from Here We Go Again. Cali from Creating Motherhood is hosting a virtual baby shower for Jen. When I first clicked on Jen’s blog I thought, oh, she’s young, married and VERY pregnant. As a single woman in my mid 40s, struggling to get pregnant on my own, I usually avoid blogs like hers. But we are all sisters in this battle. Jennifer was a big contributor to the fundraising efforts that got Cali pregnant. She doesn’t know many people where she and her husband are living. No one was throwing her a baby shower. She deserves a celebration. It truly pleases me to contribute a little gift for her shower. I like to think of her daughter styling in something from an internet auntie she’s never met.

What did you do this week to put a smile on someone’s face?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Jennifer sounds like a wonderful person. I'm glad so many people are banding together to help her.

I Believe in Miracles said...

What a beautiful concept...