Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Peaceful Places

Angrycanrn is having a contest asking bloggers to describe their “peaceful” place.

I’ve got lots! Rather than one place, when my last nerve is frayed, I try to get away. A weekend away somewhere soothes and refreshes. I’ve become skilled at bidding low (and winning) for hotels on Price1ine. Washington, DC is any easy getaway from NYC. You may remember this post about the newish bus service that provides WiFi and electrical outlets! In the last couple of years I’ve taken a few weekend trips to New Orleans. (BTW, December is a VERY cheap time to go there.) Before getting ready to cycle this past June, I took a real vacation in May to Europe. 10 days on my own. Just wandering, traveling by train to different towns, people watching with a cup of coffee in a café. Best thing I could do for my head.

Getting away from the clutter (literal and figurative) in my life for a bit gives me a peacefulness that’s hard to come by ordinarily. I’m sure this will change drastically with a baby. (Although, I plan to ask Matt Logelin for single parent traveling tips. He’s so good at it! Although, Madeline is an exceptionally easy baby.) I expect peaceful moments with a little one will be different. Deep sleeping baby sighs while sleeping across my chest. I’m looking forward to friends and family enjoying a baby with me, but I’m really looking forward to the intense, one on one, baby-mom lovefest.

Anyway, here are some peaceful moments from my travels.

One of my favorite places in DC. Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown. I once actually dozed off while lounging on a stone wall under some wisteria vines.




Café du Monde. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!


Stormy night in Jackson Square. The sky was amazing!


Little treasure on quiet French Quarter street.


Wandering through the beautiful streets of the Garden District.


Serene street in Haarlem, NL.


This one in Amsterdam.


Amsterdam at dusk. A fairy tale city.


More!

5 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

wow, those are some beautiful photos!

Cara said...

Um...did that sign say, "puppy church - this sunday"?

And - is it still peaceful with a companion? If so...can I come next time?

Billy said...

Lovely pics of lovely places :-)

I too love just looking at people, and sitting in a cafe in place far away from home, and just watching the people - that sounds so peaceful!

Michelle said...

Those pictures are great! They all look so peaceful.

Kristin said...

What stunning pictures. I especially love the one of Jackson Square.